Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Don't Let Me Drown

“I am drifting in over my head and want my mother to grab me out of the tide” (6).

    Meredith has always been used to a structured life style. She was known as a good girl that when

told to do a task, she never asked any questions, never argued. She followed the rules and her mother

provided her with her undivided attention, until the summer of 1965. Her mother was not the same

stay at home mother of her youth. She had a marketing job and went out late with her boyfriend.

Meredith's mother pushed her to the back burner. Her actions seemed as though she was buying time

until Meredith left the house. Hall did everything in her power to gain her mother's attention.

Meredith wore skimpy bikini's, traveled with boys she had just meant, went to questionable parties,

and nearly never saw her mother. She turned into a rebel in order for her mother to notice her. Her

choices started to become more and more dangerous and Meredith got in to deep. All she wanted was

her mother to ask where she was going. Her mother's recklessness, damaged her. She became

someone she did not trust or recognize and there was no there to help her get out.
    
    I cannot imagine a life where my mother just pushed me off to the side. I truly believe that id my

mother had done this to me, I would have ended up just like Meredith. I am extremely close with my

mom and I loathe when she leaves me out of events or gives me the silent treatment. That breaks me,

Meredith did not even have a mother left. She was asking and wanting only for attention, to be

wanted. Meredith's mother destroyed the person that was her daughter and made her grow up to fast.

4 comments:

  1. I competently agree with you. How could Meredith's mother push her to the back burner. Her child should be her number one priority. Her parenting methods after the separation of her husband disappeared. Meredith did things she though her mother would find questionable, and yet she still did not notice her daughter. When people have children they have to stop putting themselves first, and start putting their children first. Maybe Meredith's mother did that in the beginning, but as of now her mother only cares about her new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Her mother didn't pay enough attention to her child, and as Natalie said, children should be the parents' first priority. I mean how could parents expect their child to stay on a right path and do right things when there is no to look after them. Whatever Meredith did was mostly the result of her parents' actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. Her mother didn't pay enough attention to her child, and as Natalie said, children should be the parents' first priority. I mean how could parents expect their child to stay on a right path and do right things when there is no to look after them. Whatever Meredith did was mostly the result of her parents' actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wrote about this one too! i completely agree. every sad little girl always wants to run home and have their mom hug them and tell them "everything will be okay" its crazy to see how some people's lives can be so different. i'm sure that there are families out there that are the same as Meredith's family. with the mom being so distant and not acting like a mother.

    ReplyDelete